Saturday 19 October 2013

The Jungle Giants - Concert & Venue Review

On Thursday 17th October my brother and I headed to The Newport in Fremantle to see The Jungle Giants.



Venue: The Newport has always been quite good for live music - the way their stage, dance floor and bar are set up work quite well I think. Price wise - the drinks are cheap (unless you get a fancy $22+ cocktail from the tiki bar) I had a lemon, lime & bitters ($3) and a Perfect Storm cocktail ($8) which were both made quickly and pretty darn delicious. Also their female toilets were close the immaculate the entire time - a great feat for any place that hosts drunk individuals on a regular basis.
The Background Noise: The music playing before and in between acts was basically like someone had thrown on a triple j mix tape which, considering the band we were there too see, was rather fitting. In between the opening act and The Jungle Giants some DJ hit the decks and was playing rap music - when nobody was dancing along to it, he just turned it up and played tracks with more aggressive sounding lyrics. The rap just did not seem to go with the rest of the night, an odd choice in tunes in my opinion.
Opening Act: I did not catch the name of this group and they really weren't my thing. The singer had a beautiful voice and the drums were amazing, despite a few issues with their equipment I think they put on a pretty good set. They appeared ridiculously nervous but after a couple of songs seemed fine.


The Jungle Giants: These guys absolutely rocked it. It was the second time I have seen them live and, once again, was impressed by how well they play live. They easily replaced synth with epic guitar solos in one of their tracks from their latest album (Learn To Exist - out now) and still work really well together as a band. They also had a few technical difficulties but they were dealt with promptly and didn't effect the overall show in anyway (at least not for me). I would definitely go see them live again.



Merchandise: The merchandise stand was set up really well, all prices were clearly displayed and they had eftpos. I picked up their record and it is bright orange and awesome.

Negatives: The wait time from doors opening to the opening act then the wait time between the opening act and The Jungle Giants was a bit lengthy for my liking, but maybe I'm just getting old.
Also whilst the Giant's guitar technician was trying to sound check the DJ was playing ridiculously loud music and seemed to completely ignore the tech's gesturing to turn it down slightly so he could hear what he was doing (this might be why they had the issues they had, who knows). 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a lil' somethin somethin?